I’ve got a little update and a few things from around the web to share today.
1. Alicia Shaffer was on Good Morning America today. My post about Three Bird Nest has gotten a lot of hits. Here are some stats:
That’s 10,397 pageviews on Wednesday, and 13,516 yesterday which is the most traffic my blog has ever seen on a single day. There’s been a flurry of news coverage of Alicia’s story, and of Etsy’s changing culture, this week and my piece was right in the middle of that which was good timing. It took me about 13 hours to research and write that story.
2. I found an absolutely wonderful blog through a link to a story that people kept tweeting at me last week: Knitting is a Right, Not a Privilege. This article is one of the best pieces of writing about craft that I’ve read this year (perhaps the best). Work Even is a blog written by an American writer and knitter living in Bulgaria. Beautiful writing, a talented fiber artist, and a fresh perspective on what it means to make things with your hands.
3. I’m going to Spoonflower in April. My sister and her family just moved to Durham and we’re spending spring break visiting them. I’ll be spending an afternoon touring Spoonflower headquarters and then recording a podcast with co-founder, Stephen Fraser. I’m really looking forward to this.
4. The Longform Podcast is incredibly wonderful if you’re interested in journalism and writing for the web. I’ve obsessively listened to hundreds of hours (!) already, but recent highlights include #124 with Alex Blumberg and #127 with Molly Crabapple.
6. Crafts are the new crafts. Try it!
8. This quilt by Penny Gold on display now at QuiltCon has me in tears.
9. I just got a new app called Nuzzel (free in the App store) that aggregates news that your friends are sharing on Facebook and Twitter so you don’t miss anything. I like it!
10. I’m thinking about writing a piece about why it’s a good idea to have a presence on LinkedIn even if you’re a self-employed creative person not looking for job. If you want to talk about this with me, shoot me an email.
That’s it for right now. I went running when it was 5 degrees this morning and my face is still frozen.
I’m sewing this weekend for sure.