This bunny softie is easy to sew and so squishable! She would be an adorable addition to an Easter basket and would also make a great baby gift. You’ll need about an hour to make this project from start to finish. I hope you enjoy this free pattern!
To make Sophia the Bunny you’ll need:
- White pompom (store bought or homemade)
- White all-purpose thread
- 15″ x 22″ piece of white fabric (fleece, velour, or minky)
- 7″ x 7″ piece of pink fabric (fleece, velour, or minky)
- Embroidery floss in black and brown, 15 inches of each
- Polypellets and an old pair of pantyhose
- Fiberfill stuffing, 4 ounces
Download the pattern templates and print them out. Please note that my free patterns are for personal use only. Trace the body template twice and then tape them together along the straight edge.
A 1/4″ seam allowance is included in both pattern pieces. Sew 1/4″ inside the solid lines.
1. Cut one body piece from white fabric. Cut two ear pieces from white fabric and two from pink fabric. If you’d like to embroider the bunny’s features before sewing her up, you can do so now (see the embroidery instructions step #6).
2. Place a pink ear piece on a white ear piece, right sides together. Stitch around, leaving the bottom open as marked. Repeat to create a second ear. Clip the curves and trim the seam allowance at the tip of the ear to reduce bulk. Turn the ears right side out. The pink portion will be the inside of the ear. Fold the sides of the ears inward along the dotted lines. Baste to hold.
3. Place the ears pink side down on the right side of the body piece as marked. Pin in place.
4. Bring two sides of the body together aligning points A. Stitch from point A to point B. Repeat three more times, sewing up the bunny’s body. Be sure to leave an opening as marked. Clip the curves and turn the bunny right side out. Remove the basting stitches in the ears.
5. Cut a length of an old pair of pantyhose and tie one end in a knot. Fill it with polypellets, then tie off the other end. Push the pantyhose into the bunny. Stuff the bunny firmly with the pantyhose remaining at the base to give the body some weight. Close the opening with ladder stitch.
6. Pull off two strands from a length of 6-ply black embroidery floss. Embroider the eyes with chain stitch. Pull off two strands from a length of 6-ply brown embroidery floss. Embroider the nose with satin stitch and them mouth with chain stitch. (Note that you can embroider the features before sewing up the bunny if you’d prefer.) Dab a bit of blush on the cheeks.
6. Stitch the pompom firmly to the back of the bunny towards the bottom and in the center.
Give Sophia the Bunny a big hug!
Did you like this tutorial? Sign up for my newsletter for lots of great information about sewing soft toys and running a creative business.