On today’s episode of the While She Naps podcast we’re talking about building a sewing community with my guest, Shea Henderson.
A former middle school math teacher, Shea Henderson now owns Empty Bobbin Sewing Studio, a sewing and quilt pattern company. She is the author of the award winning book School of Sewing: Learn it. Teach it. Sew Together and her work has been featured in several books and magazines. She is one of founding members and a former president of the Kansas City Modern Quilt Guild. Shea lives in Kansas City, MO with her husband and three young children.
In this conversation we discuss:
- Transitioning careers from education to the sewing industry
- Getting started as a quilter and discovering modern quilting
- Founding a modern quilt guild
- Teaching people to sew
- The ins and outs of publishing print patterns and outsourcing
- Pitching a craft book, fleshing out a book proposal, and how to know when your book idea is a good one
Shea is now working as a tech editor for quilt designers and publishers.
And, of course, I ask Shea to recommend great stuff she’s enjoying right now. Shea recommends:
- One Line a Day journals (affiliate link)
- Young House Love Has a Podcast
- Cloth guide/seam gauge that attaches onto the bed of a sewing machine (affiliate link)
This episode is sponsored by Pin Peddlers. Are you crafting crazy? A lover of all things quilting and sewing? Share your passion for creativity in what you wear! Pin Peddlers is the place to choose pins, charms, and jewelry to make the perfect creative statement! Use the code “NAPS” to save 15% off your next stock order at pinpeddlers.com. Pin Peddlers. Love what you do. Wear what you love.
You can listen to this episode by clicking on the green arrow below, or subscribe to the While She Naps podcast in iTunes or on Stitcher so you never miss an episode. If you enjoy the show, tell a friend about it! Thank you so much.