I’m a freelance writer with a specialty in the home sewing industry and creative entrepreneurship. I have a particular interest in feminism and social justice as it impacts women crafters, artists, and business owners. I’ve written three craft books as well as articles for numerous publications, both digital and print, including:
- Generation Q Magazine
- Modern Patchwork
- Modern Quilts Unlimited
- FabShop News
- Studio Art Quilts Associates Journal
- Crafter’s Market 2016
- Craft Industry Alliance Journal (writer and publisher)
- the Spoonflower blog
- Academy of Handmade
- Sew Mama Sew
- Little Farm Media
I’m the editor of Crafter’s Market 2017.
In addition I’ve written original content on my blog, WhileSheNaps, 2-3 times each week for over a decade. Some of my most notable pieces include:
- Three Bird Nest: The Etsy Success Story Redefined
- Can You Nurse Your Baby at Quilt Market: Infants at Craft Industry Trade Shows
- Aurifil’s Alex Veronelli’s Online Behavior Seems Questionable to Me
- Who Killed Quilt Your Heart Out?
- An Inside Look at How Much Fabric Designers Earn
Please take a look through my archives in the navigation bar to get a sense of the types of topics I investigate and report on.
I enjoy writing feature articles, artist profiles, and other longform and shorter pieces focused on craft, sewing, online culture, women, and business. Please get in touch to talk more about your idea or to hear some of mine: abbyglassenberg at comcast dot net.
I’m a freelance sewing pattern designer with a focus on patterns for stuffed animals and dolls. My soft toys are appealing to children and are constructed in a way that is sturdy and will stand up to hours of play. I’ve written three books of sewing patterns (The Artful Bird, Stuffed Animals, and Sew and Play Puzzle Ball Animals) and have created projects for many magazines, books, websites, and companies including:
- Simplicity (#1681, #1386, #1218, #1131)
- Mollie Makes magazine
- Sew-It Today magazine
- Quilt-It Today magazine
- Cloth Paper Scissors magazine
- Homespun magazine
- Softies Only a Mother Could Love (Perigree)
- More Softies Only a Mother Could Love (Perigree)
- Seaside Home (C&T)
- Kid’s Crafternoon Felting (Random House)
- Hand In Hand (Lark Crafts)
- Never Been Stitched (Lark Crafts)
- Fat Quarters (Lark Crafts)
- Sew Mama Sew
- Wild Olive
- and special projects for movies and advertising
I have a forthcoming felt sewing kit with Sterling Publishing.
I can design an original sewing pattern and samples for your online or print publication, trade show booth, advertisement, or project. Please get in touch to talk more about your idea: abbyglassenberg at comcast dot net.
Photos by Lisa Neighbors